To aid women business owners in an industry that has been badly battered by the economic effects of the pandemic, the Massachusetts Conference for Women was able to donate $285,000 in grants to 57 women-owned restaurants across the state in an initiative with the Massachusetts Restaurant Association.
Here’s what some of the grantees did with the money:
- Apple Barn Cafe: “I was able to keep my staff on payroll, where 90% are local women. By keeping open, we add to the community by providing a safe and positive environment during the pandemic. We also offer local women artists a venue, at no cost, to sell their products. We promote these local women artists along with the woman owned restaurant.”
- Dali Restaurant & Tapas Bar (Tamario, Inc.): “pay overdue bills”
- Quick’s Hole Tavern and Taqueria: “We used part of the grant to redo the floors in one of our two locations — Quick’s Hole Taqueria. We chose a concrete style commercial grade tile which replaces an aging actual concrete that has been chipping under heavy use. In addition, this funding helped us support our staff and stay open longer at Quicks Hole Tavern than we would have been able to otherwise. It was greatly appreciated!”
How You Can Help
Please consider patronizing the small businesses below by stopping by, ordering takeout, or buying a gift certificate. Additionally, here are some ideas offered by restaurant owners themselves:
- Try not to be too critical in online forums—this can be devastating to a small business trying to navigate a crisis.
- Order takeout or make dine-in reservations. Some businesses also sell merchandise and gift cards.
- Try ordering directly from the restaurant or asking them which third party service charges them the lowest fee.
- Follow & engage with your favorite spots on social media to help spread the word.
- Prioritize small local restaurants when booking catering for social and corporate events.
Meet the Grant Recipients:
Galliford’s Restaurant & Tavern
The Other Place Pub
The UXLocale, L.L.C.
The Vegan Nest Café
Irie Jamaican Style Restaurant
Little Pecan Bistro
Mei Mei Restaurant
Mr. Dooley’s Boston Tavern
Sumiao Hunan Kitchen
Suya Joint Inc
The Pearl Seafood Grill and Raw Bar
Villa Mexico Cafe
1640 Hart House
Daddy Jones Bar
Daily Harvest Cafe
Dali Restaurant and Tapas Bar
Heritage of Sherborn
Sweet Tomatoes Pizza
Tipping Cow Ice Cream
Worthen House Cafe
Apple Barn Cafe
Coco and the Cellar Bar
Herrell’s Ice Cream
Woodstar Cafe, Inc.